Healthy relationships are built on love, trust, compromise, and sacrifice. Do you have a boundary or conditions on what you will accept from your partners in order for your relationship to remain healthy and happy?
A condition or boundary in this context will be the actions, behaviors, and attitudes that you deem are damaging to your mental, emotional and physical health and thus should not be committed by the person you enter a relationship with.
Well look at it this way:
- Do you take care of yourself
- Do you value yourself and encourage yourself?
- Do you respect other people’s space
- Do you take care of your surrenders
- Do you try to upgrade your experiences and skills?
The golden rule “treat people how you want to be treated,” applies even in relationships.
If you desire love and respect then you have to give love and respect. Love is a two-way street. So if you take care of yourself then the person who you love is expected to do the same and treat you at the very least the way you treat yourself.
When you start to expect less your forgive tirelessly and may continue in a relationship that is unhealthy and stressful because you have not determined what your boundaries are.
- I love you and will continue to do as long as you do not cheat on me
- I love you and will not stop unless you physically abuse me
- I love you and will continue to love you as long as you don’t degrade me at every turn and try to out me down.
Your love has to have conditions or boundaries because you have standards for how you treat yourself so it’s not too much to ask for the same in return. In the same, way you have to love and respect your partner’s standards.
You accept the love you think you deserve so set your conditions and respect your partners and you will build healthier, and more loving relationships.
What are your thoughts on having conditions in love?